Wednesday 5 January 2011

Current Design Project: Pre Collection

For my pre collection I am working around the subject of blindness.
Im looking at it from the perspective of how i'd react to designing with either no or little sight.
So I've been trying to focus on interesting fabric textures, mixing smooth with rough, opaque with transparent etc.
Ive also been looking at distorted everyday images. Taking photos from my everyday life and distorting them to the point where it is unrecognisable, and getting my shapes that way.

While doing research I came across an amazing fashion designer from Ukraine.
Sergey Ermakov creates exquisite Haute Couture garments, with such attention to detail.
Yet he does this with only 5% of his vision. He is virtually blind, to the point where if hes up close to a garment, all he can see is its colour.

Therefore he relies on touch and memories to design his collections.
Personally I think what he does is amazing, even by the standards of a fully sighted couturier.
Here are a few examples of his work:





No comments:

Post a Comment